Provide Max Length (List page) option for all field types

bkonia
User

Provide Max Length (List page) option for all field types

Post by bkonia »

In the View Tag settings, when you set the format to String and the field type is TEXT, it provides an option, Max Length (List page) that allows you to specify the maximu field length on the list page. I'd like to request this option be available for ALL field types, not just the TEXT type.

The reason is, when the field is using a lookup table, it could be displaying a long string, even though the field type is numeric. Also, it's possible to have long text strings in VARCHAR fields.

Additoinally, I'd like to request an option to display an ellipsis when field text is truncated on the list page.

I know all this is possible using Custom View Tag, but it gets complicated because you have to distinguish between text on the list page vs the view page, and you have to retrieve the field value in different ways depending on whether it's a standard list view or a Master/Detail list view, etc... It would be much more convenient to always have the option available in the field settings when you set the format to String, regardless of the underlying field type.

Neelima
User

Post by Neelima »

+1 display an ellipsis

Webmaster
User

Post by Webmaster »

Note that Bootstrap has Text truncation CSS class, you can try Custom attributes under View Tag panel, e.g.

["class" => "d-inline-block text-truncate", "style" => "max-width: 150px;"]