jQuery validation without "Client-Side Validation"

This public forum is for user-to-user discussions of PHPMaker. Note that this is not support forum.
Chris
User

jQuery validation without "Client-Side Validation"

Post by Chris »

Hi, it seems the client scripts don't fire if I have only PHP validation on required fields. How do we enable our own validation in Form_CustomValidate without enabling the built-in Javascript validation?

If I enable it, I can use this function to validate my form with jQuery validate no problem, but it get added on TOP of the existing validation. I want to combine my own js validation with the server-side PHP validation on required etc fields.

function(fobj) { // DO NOT CHANGE THIS LINE!
// Your custom validation code here, return false if invalid.
var form = $("form#fdemosadd");
form.validate({
rules: { //
x_demo_owner: { required: true },
x_demo_filename: { required: true },
x_demo_slated: { required: true }
}
});
if (form.valid()) return true;
}

Webmaster
User

Post by Webmaster »

Just use Client Script for the page (see Server Events and Client Scripts in the help file) to override the generated Valdiate method with your own, e.g. (v10)

fdemosadd.Validate = function() { // assume table name is "demos" and the page is Add page
// your own validation
}

Chris
User

Post by Chris »

OK this works great, but I have to click twice on the Add button in order to trigger the validation. The first click doesn't do anything.

Do you know the reason for that?

Webmaster
User

Post by Webmaster »

Can't guess from the limited info. Post your code. Set breakpoints in your code and debug it in your browser.

Chris
User

Post by Chris »

Here is my exact function for validating the demos "Add" table. It works correctly, but I need to submit twice before it fires. It is currently in Table-Specific -> Add/Copy Page -> Client Script.

// Write your client script here, no need to add script tags.
fdemosadd.Validate = function() {
$("#fdemosadd").validate({
rules: { //
x_demo_owner: { required: true },
x_demo_filename: { required: true },
x_demo_slated: { required: true }
},
errorPlacement: function(error, element) {
error.insertAfter( element.closest("span") );
}
});
}

Webmaster
User

Post by Webmaster »

Your function must return true if validation passes and vice versa, refer to the original function as example.

Chris
User

Post by Chris »

OK thanks returning true makes the validation work properly, and I can customize the operation, thanks!