ASP.NET Maker 2016

This public forum is for user-to-user discussions of ASP.NET Maker. Note that this is not support forum.
johnw
User

ASP.NET Maker 2016

Post by johnw »

I am using the demo of the new release of ASP.NET Maker. There are times the project will generate but not load in the browser. I end up having to restart, I have had to install, and do multiple repairs on Core and the SDK (this is not necessarily ASP.NET Makers fault) but is a requirement, Advanced Security raises a variety of errors or simply keeps the app from loading in the browser. Object not Found is a far too frequent error but is pretty non-descriptive.

I am solely curious with this post if anyone else is having issues with the new release of the software.

Anyway I'm running Win 10 64bit and I had hoped to use ASP.NET Maker for simple quick Line of Business apps.

Webmaster
User

Post by Webmaster »

ASP.NET Core needs to be compiled before it can be run by server and the result sent to browser. If you have checked "Browse after generate", ASP.NET Maker 2016 will try to compile the generated scripts by .NET Core (dotnet restore and dotnet build) first. However, if there are errors during compilation (you'll see red text in the command prompt), then the app cannot be run properly. In such case you can open a command prompt, go to the project folder, and run the build.bat file to see the error messages and try to fix them first.

Microsoft error messages are sometimes ambiguous, "object not found" usually means something is null, e.g. a missing table or field, a missing setting. Check the error message, if any, in the popup Generate form during generation.

As Microsoft said, ASP.NET Core is totally new and that's why it is 1.0. Previous experiences in ASP.NET (or other technologies) does not quite apply. ASP.NET Core is a whole new world, users do need to invest some time to learn it from scratch again.

If you have tested that your .NET Core is working (see Preparing Windows for ASP.NET Core Development in the help file) and you can create .NET app by SDK and Visual Studio 2015, your development environment is fine, there should be no need to reinstall .NET Core. (At least we have not experienced that before.) We suggest that you focus on the compilation errors mentioned above.

If you are a registered user, you can also send your project files to support for testing:
http://www.hkvstore.com/aspnetmaker/support.asp

johnw
User

Post by johnw »

I appreciate the suggestions. I start again and take a closer look at the Core documentation. As I said the problem could be me, the reason for the look in the mirror remark. The danger for someone like me is that having worked with .Net since its first release is to think that knowledge is sufficient for .Net Core. The reminder that it is not the same is well received.

I will start with the build.bat to see if it can give me more insight as to the errors.

aspmaker_fan
User

Post by aspmaker_fan »

I am having the same issue. I refresh the page in the browser if it does not load after compilation. I copied the batch file giving different name and added 'Pause', so that we can see what the error is.

I wonder how do we compile the application using VS2015 and hosting in local IIS rather then Kestrel.

Kind regards
Zam

Webmaster
User

Post by Webmaster »

The batch file simply follows the basic usage of .NET CLI: https://github.com/dotnet/cli, so there is No need to modify the build.bat, just go to the project folder and type the follows to see if there are any errors during compilation:

dotnet restore
dotnet build

To open in Visual Studio 2015, just generate the project and open the .xproj file in VS, see "Generate Settings" in the help file.

To publish to IIS, read: https://docs.asp.net/en/latest/publishing/iis.html