Keep All Customisations / Overridden Files between upgrades

harvest316b
User

Keep All Customisations / Overridden Files between upgrades

Post by harvest316b »

The support guys have been fabulous at recommending various internal files that I can achieve my required customisations, such as fields.xml, or jscalendar lang files, etc, but I've noticed that these modifications get lost when I reinstall or upgrade PHPMaker, which is a problem for long-term maintainability. By the time the next PHPMaker upgrade comes out, I stand a very good chance of forgetting the tweaks I've made.

Please either add a list of such files to a "how to upgrade" document, or better yet, provide a central location for such overrides. I like this - it replicates the folder structure of the entire framework (as empty folders), so you just place a copy of any file you're replacing or adding in the relevant empty folder, and it loads that instead. Then you just zip up the whole overrides folder with your app, and you have a backup of all your code, and nothing gets lost.

perci100
User

Post by perci100 »

I like the idea of a file override , Maybe it does a quick diff check and only adds what you have changed this way the file from the template stays intact but just adds your piece. I usually edit the menu options through ewmenu instead of using scripts in phpmaker. It does get hard to remember tweaks ive made though I end up needing multiple copies of the file.