soft delete feature

drmovi
User

soft delete feature

Post by drmovi »

i suggest making a soft delete i.e. record is not actually deleted from database instead a field named "is_deleted" for example modify its value to be 1 and the record does not appear in record table
i know that it can be done in code but making it as a feature will save a lot of time and effort
my point is sometimes we want to use the deleted record as a history so instead of moving it to another table we can simply use them in their current locatrions

mobhar
User

Post by mobhar »

Soft delete or fake delete should be done easily either using "Row_CustomAction" + "Page_Load" server events OR "Multi-Update" feature from "Table" setup.

You can update by flagging the record(s) based on the related field in that table, so that they will be identified as "deleted".

digitalphotoworld
User

Post by digitalphotoworld »

If you have big tables, a delete-flag is not a good idea, because it slow's down select-querys. For a similar problem, I use a trigger that did a copy of the record to a "delete-table" before deleting the record from the original table.

mobhar
User

Post by mobhar »

If you have big tables, then you should index your field(s) that often to be used in your SQL SELECT statement.