Sorting User Level Permission Table

theluan

Sorting User Level Permission Table

Post by theluan »

There are some inconveniences when it comes to granting permission to groups:

Context:

• I have more than 30 tables, 10 views, 10 custom views
  • I have about 20 groups of users, all permissions are dynamically managed
  • Naming of the tables and views follows certain conventions with some prefixes for functionality groups.
  • However, in the permisison, they are NOT sorted based on the naming or database_naming, but they are sorted based on the order they appear in the project (views are always after tables)

My current hack:

• I inject js code with jQuery Table sorter to sort permission table based on its unicode caption (non-english)

Drawback:

• Some captions cannot have prefix to make them appear together after sorted.
  • Some captions cannot be sorted in the right place because they have to be very generic like simply "Orders" in order to appear nicely as a detailed view column in some tables.

My suggestions to improve, ranked in order of importance:

1. Similar to Menu, allow manual sorting and hiding (thank you for hiding functionality in 9.0!)
  2. Also like menu items, allow "Group headers" to separate table/view/custom view by group
  3. Javascript code: to quickly tick entire group by clicking on headings.

nyukuri
User

Post by nyukuri »

Hello,

I have, tables, views and custom files all together, nearly 300 permissions to set.

The table in userpriv.php is in alphabetical order, but considering the actual file or table name, though showing in the table the display name chosen in PHPMaker, which can differ.

Here a summary of requested features:

1. distinguish tables, views, custom files (by colors or an additional column or by grouping them)
  2. show both the real table/file name AND the custom display name
  3. Allow sorting the table alphabetically by clicking on the table header (sorting by table/file name, sorting by custom display name)
  4. implement a quicksearch function (less important, but very helpful)
  5. Allow a completely other table view :
    at present ALL permissions for ONE userlevel are shown, introduce also a table that shows ALL userlevels for ONE permission, that way changing permissions of just one table but for all userlevels could be much easier and faster.

digitalphotoworld
User

Post by digitalphotoworld »

In large projects it is not easy to handle all the permissions.
Most needed features are:

• sorting by name table
  • searching
  • add the generic table-name (in a separate column)

A big improved would be to show the tables in a tree-view (like the menu).

mobhar
User

Post by mobhar »

I vote for this, too. Another improvement for the generated User Level Permissions page:

Allow us to disable/hide the certain checkbox(es) option in the generated userpriv.php page.

For example, when we use "Custom Files" object, we only need "List" option to allow end users access this page. We don't need checkboxes option for "Add", "Edit", "Delete", and "Search". It does not make sense at all to provide unnecessary permission options that we obviously don't need and don't want to give the permission(s) to end-users.

The similar analog is, when we obviously don't want to generate "Delete Page" for table "customers", then we should be able to disable "delete" checkbox option, so admin will not ever able to give "delete" permission for that "customers" table. If someday we decide to enable/generate the "Delete Page", then we are still be able to enable the "delete" checkbox option.

Chris
User

Post by Chris »

In our case we did it with jQuery, after the table loads.

Webmaster
User

Post by Webmaster »

Try v2018.