Placing Help Text in List or View/Edit Page

This public forum is for user-to-user discussions of PHPMaker. Note that this is not support forum.
bobmulder5555
User

Placing Help Text in List or View/Edit Page

Post by bobmulder5555 »

Hi, yesterday I heard some users of one of my applications are coming on board who are easily confused. They will be using a limited function-set that already is made simple and to the point through views. I get the impression that still might be a challenge for them, so I would like to put in descriptive balloons like
"1. Select Month here" (pointing at the advanced search button for a modal in with they use a date picker)
"2. Select all recipients here" (pointing at the top select option in a list view to select everything that's listed on the page)
"3. Hit the Bell icon to send the e-mail reminders here" (pointing at the bell glyph that is created thru a cListAction custom action Page_Load (like example 3 in Server events help file)/Row_CustomAction combi.

So to summarize, I'd like to be able to create permanent text balloons (with or without icons etc) pointing almost anywhere on a page.

Is there a way to do this elegantly and having these text balloons as part of the projectfile?

Thanks for any input, Bob

mobhar
User

Post by mobhar »

If you enable "Multi-language" option from "PHP" -> "General Options", then you may simply setup the tooltip from the "Field Edit Tag Title" and/or "Field Image Tag Alt" from "Tools" -> "Multi-Language Property Editor".

kirondedshem
User

Post by kirondedshem »

@mobhar
I was going to use a custom library untill i saw this, so thanks alot.
I can change the edit tag title text of a given field dynamically. as follows
function Page_DataRendering(&$header) {
$this->Trademark->EditAttrs["title"] = "My custom Tooltip";
}

Except do you know how to change tooltip positioning from bottom to left, right etc still for any field as well.

mobhar
User

Post by mobhar »

Google "css tooltip position".

bobmulder5555
User

Post by bobmulder5555 »

Problem with pop-ups etc is that a user won't know about helptext until s/he hovers over icon.
But I found a good compromise -> See my post in user tips: Uber-Flexible Help System for PHPMaker websites

kirondedshem
User

Post by kirondedshem »

Oohh, before I forget there is also custom message which will place a help text below the input controll if you want something more obivous to see. eg

// Page Load event
function Page_Load() {

//echo "Page Load";
	$this->Model->CustomMsg = "My custom help message";
}

bobmulder5555
User

Post by bobmulder5555 »

Oh Cool, gonna try it out.