User Adding Users

This public forum is for user-to-user discussions of PHPMaker. Note that this is not support forum.
michaelmcewen
User

User Adding Users

Post by michaelmcewen »

I want to set it up so that the "Manager" can set up other users in his department and he would be the "Parent User" of those new users. They don't want the members of the department to set themselves up, but the manager to add them to the user table.

How do I allow managers to only add users with the the manager as the Parent User? I'm thinking I can add a default value for that field?

michaelmcewen
User

Post by michaelmcewen »

One more thing....I have another table where when the manager adds a record, one of the fields is for the member of the department...so I would need to display a list of members to select from.

Additionally, the members would need to be able to add records to this table for themselves as well...in that case, their user id would need to be auto filled into this field (it is a link showing "ownership").

I don't see how I can do this, having two different default values depending on who's doing the adding.

arbei
User

Post by arbei »

Only the hardcoded administrator got the permission to manage user.

1.Even you enable all permissions for an user-defined User Level, the User Level will NOT become same as this Administrator User Level. User-defined User Levels will not have the permissions to manage users

Read help file topic: "Project Setup" -> "Security Settings" -> "Important Notes on User Level" for more information.

kirondedshem
User

Post by kirondedshem »

You can let any user create other users thorugh an editable view linked to the user account table.

You can check this topic at "viewtopic.php?f=4&t=40904"

BUT In a summary:

I always find working with the default user table that is linked to security using a non admin user nearly impossible since the table has alot of embeded security features. So i always create a view out of the user able and user privilages tabale incase i need to let some other groups play with this info.

SO i suggest you create an editable view of the user table eg
CRETAE VIEW as select * from user;
Set up its field settings from scrath, DONT copy from user table as I found it embeds some of the previous security restrictions as seen on user table.
setup master/detail as required.
Then assign neccessary groups normal permissions to this view as it can also add, delete, edit etc but it wont have those embeded "require admin only" senarios