Install/Execute error - not detecting admin privileges

This public forum is for user-to-user discussions of ASP.NET Report Maker. Note that this is not support forum.

Install/Execute error - not detecting admin privileges

Postby katherman » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:00 pm

I’ve tried install/running the program as an administrator for the trial version, but I have not had any luck. I'm simply am presented with the screen asking for my license key. I've followed the instructions downloads page to enable running with the highest privilege and/or as an Administrator.

Everytime, I simply get the "Missing installation information. Make sure you install this software with administrator permission...." with the buttons to Register, Purchase or Exit.

I'm very interested in this product especially since it is built using ASP.Net Web Pages.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~Andy Katherman
katherman

Re: Install/Execute error - not detecting admin privileges

Postby Webmaster » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:11 am

During installation, some information needs to be written to registry. If you install without administrator permssions, the installer does not have the right to write the info in registry. If the program cannot find the info in the registry, it prompts the error message. So make sure you install as administrator. If "Run as administrator" does not work for you, read: http://www.hkvstore.com/aspnetreportmaker/download.asp

If you still cannot install successfully, log in Windows as the built-in administrator account to install. The built-in administrator account is disabled by default, you may need to enable the built-in administrator account first:

1. Login as administrator. Open a command prompt (under All Programs -> Accessories) in administrator mode by right-clicking and choosing Run as administrator,
2. Type the command: net user administrator /active:yes. You should see: "The command completed successfully."
3. Log out. You'll now see the Administrator account show up on the login screen.

If you have antivirus softwares, also make sure it does not prevent installers from writing info into registry.
Webmaster

Postby Skyops » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:34 am

My install is onto a dev box, a VM on Oracle Virtual Box, it is a win 2008 32 bit Standard with out Hyper -V, 2Gb RAM.
I can only log in as the local Administrator as I have not attached it to any domain. Nevertheless I did the whole run as admin bit when I ran the install file.
I have installed all prerequisites (IIS 6 or better and .Net 4 framework)

The install does not give me any errors, it is only upon trying to launch the program that I get the same error as Sumoncps.

NOTE: I have tried this install on several virtual machines now:
the aforementioned Win 2008 32 bit on Oracle VirtualBox
win 2008 32 bit on VMware
win 2008 32 bit on Hyper-V

I am getting exactly the same on all of them. in all cases the servers were fresh installs specifically for testing a report server as ultimately it will need to run on this platform on a Hyper-V VHost.
Am I not installing something? it appears just .net4 and IIS is all that is needed for win Server . ANd they have that.
Skyops

Postby Webmaster » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:28 pm

Skyops wrote:
> My install is onto a dev box, a VM on Oracle Virtual Box

Make sure such virtual machine allow a program reading/writing registry like a normal Windows machine. Our product does not consider virtual machines and always read/write the registry as it is a normal Windows OS, if the installer cannot write registry on such virtual machine and therefore the product cannot read it, it gives you the "Missing installation information" error.
Webmaster

Postby Skyops » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:30 am

Never had any problem installing software on VM's, oh, except where specific hardware or presence of a optical disk, was required, but nevertheless checked. Not exactly sure how I check that program/trusted installer has rights to registry , but I did check whether any entry had been made to registry for aspnet reportmaker and found at least one item. I did check that the Local Administrators group (of which Administrator is a member) has full rights on the registry, thus I presume that is used when installing a program, such as yours.
What registry item should exist? happy to check for them.
Skyops

Postby Webmaster » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:40 pm

Have you tried:

> If you still cannot install successfully, log in Windows as the built-in administrator account to install. The built-in administrator account is disabled by default, you may need to enable the built-in administrator account first:

1. Login as administrator. Open a command prompt (under All Programs -> Accessories) in administrator mode by right-clicking and choosing Run as administrator,
2. Type the command: net user administrator /active:yes. You should see: "The command completed successfully."
3. Log out. You'll now see the Administrator account show up on the login screen.
Webmaster

Return to General Discussion (ASP.NET Report Maker)