Header and detail report format

Header and detail report format

Postby davidr » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:11 pm

Hello guys. First of all, congrats for this beautiful piece of software. I am using the new version 4.0.1 and I find it very powerful. Perhaps the learning curve is a little bit steepy at the beginning, but with some effort everything is geting clear.
Well, here comes my question:
I need to prepare a report that consists of two parts:
- One is the heading, that has information about the main object information. Let's say for instance like an invoice header.
- Second is the detail lines, that has several lines related to the main object header. Let's imagine it like the invoice product lines.
Is there a way to obtain this kind of layout?
Thanks and regards.
David
davidr

Re: Header and detail report format

Postby Webmaster » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:50 am

No, the reports do not support master/detail. The closest approach is to join the master/detail tables (if they are separated in 2 tables, e.g. Order and OrderDetails) first (read "Preparing Your Data" in the help file), then use the Page_DataRendering server event to get the heading from the database and display it in your own HTML.
Webmaster

Re: Header and detail report format

Postby davidr » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:16 pm

Thanks for the reply.
The approach of merging the two tables and tweaking the HTML is far from being optimal in this case, because header table has a lot of fields and the resulting view is too difficult to handle.
Could you please consider this master/detail approach as an interesting feature to be included in future versions?

Kind regards
David
davidr

Return to Feature Requests (PHP Report Maker)